How to Apply to Graduate Programs in the SEOE
Applications should be submitted prior to January 15 to receive full consideration for assistantships and awards for Fall semesters, and as late as February 15 for applicants to the MEERM degree program. Most assistantship and award decisions are made during the early spring (March-April) for Fall admission.
Spring and Summer term admissions are rare and are accepted only in special circumstances where applicant has discussed the possibility of admission in one of these terms with their potential faculty mentor and the graduate director. Please select a Fall application term if you have not already discussed early admission with faculty mentor and graduate director. Spring and Summer applications are due by November 1.
We strongly recommend that applicants review the web pages of the SEOE faculty, and communicate with those faculty to discuss potential research projects. This information should be included in the Statement of Purpose (see below).
The following materials are required for an applicant to be considered for admission to graduate studies in the SEOE. Applications must be processed through the Graduate School’s online application system.
- Graduate School Application
- Statement of Purpose (SOP): a 200-300 word essay - or under 3 pages, explaining your research interests in Geological Science, Marine Science, or MEERM-Enviornmental Science, your professional goals and your current plans for fulfilling your goals.
- Resume / CV
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty or other professionals in the field
- Undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) transcript(s)
- Official GRE scores
- Official TOEFL score (if applicable)
- Official LSAT score (if applicable for MEERM/JD program)
- International Students - Please review the information regarding international applicants on the USC Graduate School’s webpage.